media-lapdog

Monday, October 02, 2006

October is here

Finally, the weather cools down and I cuddle with my cat at night. Who worries about allergies? I sleep with my cat.

This month is also the time for pumpkin patches, hayrides (in the old days), Oktoberfest, and Halloween! I know how to make a pumkin mousse pie with firm tofu, pumpkin filling and a blender, oh and don't skrimp on the pumpkin spices like cinnamon and nutmeg! Halloween is my favorite holiday dating back to the creative old days of growing up. We always put together our costumes and it was so much fun!

I think the best costume that my son ever had was one that I made him with a little bit of imagination and just a few purchases that would entertain him after Halloween was gone. First, we went to the hat store downtown and got him a real, yellow Dick Tracey hat. Then, we went to Toys 'R' Us and bought him a Dick Tracey belt with flashlight, handcuffs, gun and spy watch. Then I took an old black vest that I had from a three-piece suit and folded back the excess material and safety pinned it back. He had a white dress shirt and a clip-on club tie and he was the miniature embodiment of his hero except as we were trick-or-treating in the neighorhood, a gang of homeboys was getting out of a large car and one of them said, "Hey, all right, a gangster!" Well, not close by a mile, but my little son was enjoying this night so much he took it as a compliment! Eventually the little mummy that we went with was unraveling so we also dragged ourselves home and I had to take some pictures for my photography class. That was hard to do while my son was eating candy. He turned out like Alan Delon in Borsalino.
The next night at the school photo lab it was SO much fun to watch the development tanks as all manner of ghosts and gobblins, Little Red Riding Hoods, ninjas, Little Mermaids, clowns, pirates, witches, Count Draculas, etc., etc. appeared in the water. Halloween is the best holiday ever!!!!! So say I. I am planning to decorate my office at work. I have this motion-detecting, talking plastic skull from Walgreen's that says, "Hey, where you going?!? I see you!!!!!" That's always fun too! I'm giving out candy at work too. Stop by if you have a minute!

I don't think it is such a bad thing to worship El Dia De Los Muertos ( The Day of the Dead) when we remember loved ones that have passed and celebrate with them. Is that so wrong? Some of my religious friends think it is the Devil's holiday but it isn't at all. Not at all.

2 Comments:

At 2:03 PM, Blogger legal alien said...

Hi Claire

Enjoy this year's Halloween and have a great time and good luck this month.

L.A.

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger Claire said...

Thanks, L.A.

Right back at ya.

Claire

 

Post a Comment

<< Home