media-lapdog

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

My Favorite Musical Instrument

I love the guitar although I never learned to play. My mother used to practice the guitar and sing along. She had a monotone to her voice that was kind of distracting and at the same time endearing. It was as if I knew when she was gone I would remember things like that with perfect recall. Funny how I sound like her and I hate my voice. It is very nasal.
Being the middle child and being meek and sickly growing up it is no surprise that I was no one's favorite, at least in the family. Outside the family I befriended many people, cousins, teachers, neighbors, and peers.
I like to listen to guitar music at work. I have many CDs that feature guitar music and I think it must drive my co-workers nuts. I am sorry about that but it is very soothing yet energizing and that helps me to focus on my work and not get distracted by people's conversations. In that respect it acts as a filter. The more work I have the more I realize that I am slow. If I could just attack one problem at a time and not have three or four folders open at the same instant. Distraction is a major time-waster.
I heard that playing for a long time, like when practicing one can get cuts on the tips of the fingers. Now that's dedication. There's more story to the guitar but I can't tell it here. Suffice it to say that I like this instrument best.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home