media-lapdog

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Alabina

I have a CD, Alabina Album 2, to be exact, that is a surprising mix of Spanish, Arabic, and Hebrew. I think Alabina, sadly has disbanded, correct me if I'm wrong. But the beautiful, Israeli-born singer, Ishtar, has embarked on a solo career. My neighbor, a very nice but extremely right-wing individual explained to someone asking what that music was coming out of my window that it was some so-and-so crap, subversive and all. So I now listen to it with headphones only. I looked up Habibi in the online 'Urban Dictionary' so I kind of understand what Habibi means but don't know what Habibi Ya Nour el Ein means. It is interesting that the expert explained that Habibi is also a word in Hebrew, like many Arabic words, which brings me back to my argument. These people are more alike than different, so it is very frustrating that they cannot live in peace with each other.

I get the impression that this music is more Pop and for an older audience while the younger generation prefers American or English contemporary music. What I enjoy about it is that I understand the Spanish and I like the upbeat rhythms. My favorite track is Alabina Megamix. Wish I could understand Arabic.

2 Comments:

At 2:22 PM, Blogger legal alien said...

Hey Claire ,

I think this is one of the best posts ive read during my blog reading . It's true that Arabic and Hebrew share a lot of common words bc they are from the same linguistic family.

Habibi ya nour il ein means
my love , the light of my eyes. a really poetic verse. Arabic is a really poetic and romantic language ; there are more than 40 words for love!!!

You can still learn those languages if you plan , but it may take some time and practise

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Claire said...

Hey Ammar,

Thank you for your compliment and for translating. You are so right that Arabic is such a beautiful language. They do offer it in Community College but I now have to take a computer class for work. I am so bad at computers and I have the attention-span of a knat when it comes to computer classes but I have to try. Then, I'll take Arabic. There are also CDs one can buy to learn a language. They can be found at the library, too. I guess there's no excuse for not trying.

Claire

 

Post a Comment

<< Home