media-lapdog

Monday, July 31, 2006

Smart women still making stupid mistakes?

Is it possible that when it comes to relationships, smart women keep making the same stupid mistakes over and over again? Why are we wired this way? I mean the most traumatic things we experienced in growing up, instead of avoiding them, we choose people who remind us of them or who make us relive the same dreadful events. This is one of the explanations that Dr. Drew gives on Loveline, the radio talk show that I listen to most nights. But, why are we wired this way? He doesn't fully explain that one. I guess we're always looking for that invisible, magic key to finally have a good relationship with the rejecting, critical, or abusive parent(s).

Now, in psychology class we learned that rats could learn a maze by watching other rats run the maze and if there were a shock at one end, they also learned to avoid it. So, it is possible for them (and us) to have vicarious learning. Then, why can't a hurt individual learn to find the right kind of person (as opposed to the wrong kind of person) to match up with? Why can't they observe their peers, their heroes, their idols, or their mentors experience a loving, stable relationship and say, "That's for me!"

They may even say, "That's for me!" but their radar finds the guy who leaves them alone on holidays, who cheats, who is distant or unavailable, who is married or gay, who is jealous and controlling or who is cheap and stingy even with his affection. There's all kinds of wrong men and I'm not talking about whether the guy is a nerd, or can't hold a tune, fix a car, or can't dance. I mean serious trouble. I mean the guy who can get you into serious debt, who can get you hooked on cocaine or heroin or cigarettes, or marajuana, or drink. That's what I'm talking about.

3 Comments:

At 2:58 AM, Blogger legal alien said...

Hi Claire, I understand everything you are descriing because my best friend is in a horrible relationship; her bf barely goes clubbing with her , he never invited her to the beach with him , sometimes she feels he doesn't care much about her . When i ask her to break up with him so she can have a better relationship with another guy who really adores her , she would answer me with a classic answer " I Love My BF"

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger Claire said...

Hi Ammar,
You're so right. That's a prime example of what I'm talking about. And no amount of arguing will change their mind. Because of this so many good women are wasting the best years of their lives while many good men who love them are waiting in the wings, never to enter the stage.

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Hope said...

Hello, I came in from Gelerts space..over at MSN..
I think that at times its the abuse that one has gone through in life..that makes one connect with those who will continue with the abuse.. because its all they know.. and inside they feel they don't deserve anything better..its like having a tape playing over and over again in ones mind.. in order to get rid of this tape.. one has to erase it.. and tape over it, with kindness..and thats hard to do.. but it can be done..
anyway.. its nice to meet you.. hope your days are soft.. ~Hope

 

Post a Comment

<< Home