media-lapdog

Monday, October 23, 2006

Sparring with words

In my last post I painted an extreme picture of co-workers boxing with angry words, rough-housing with gossip, rumors, innuendo, and back-stabbing. Not to downplay the hostile work environment but I should depict things more as they are, natural and a matter of educating one for any working environment. Things are more like sparring with boxing gloves on. It's not all bad.

One woman in particular, however, seems to complain about everything. It seems like she thinks she is getting the short end of the stick unless she complains and tattletales whenever she thinks someone else is getting preferential treatment.

Another woman likes to slice and dice with her tongue, then she comes all sweet and nice when she has a questions or favor to ask.

Then, there is another woman who just loves the sound of her voice. She talks as if she knows a lot with her voice modulated perfectly but she doesn't know much. I would say she's faking it 'til she makes it. And there are others much like these ladies.

Overall, it's not a bad place to work. There are enough friends to make it all worthwhile. My problem is that I'm afraid to speak up, not that I'm too nice, just too insecure. I have a wit and I should use it. I'm just not used to thinking on my feet. I think of what I should have said once the storm has blown over.

I'm learning to spar with words, though--trying to. And waking up from a silent sleep at the same time. We are none of us immune to this dancing game of self-defense. Meanwhile, gotta treat everyone with respect or could get in trouble, seriously. And as if this all weren't enough to cope with while trying to do the job, here comes the clincher, I believe in the Golden Rule, treat everyone as you would like to be treated. The Universe will take notice even if people don't. Yep, they say that being able to do the job is the easiest part of the job and getting along with co-workers is the hardest part. Whoever "they" were, they were right.

Peace

Claire

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home