media-lapdog

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Brokeback Mountain

Tonight, I finally had the privilege and sheer enjoyment of seeing Brokeback Mountain. I had heard that it was really good but I never expected anything so beautiful. I wish I could write a story like that. And Ang Lee did such a fantastic job of directing, not to mention the actors. Many images are memorable including one of Ennis del Mar (Heath Ledger) on the fourth of July with fireworks going off in the night sky behind him as he stands up tall after a confrontation with a couple of foul-mouth thugs.

I resisted chances to see the movie because of the subject matter and I somehow felt that it would turn out badly. Even so, I never saw how things would turn out and I didn't even realize how the movie won me over as I watched.

At the same time that it is a love story and talks about the right of two people to love, it also talks about the violence and hatefulness of men. It is a powerful juxtaposition.

We still have violence and prejudice. How far have we come after all?

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 11:46 AM, Blogger legal alien said...

I watched this movie after the Oscars and I was a bit reluctant to watch it , but I enjoyed the plot and Ang Lee is a great director.

As you said violence happens against men , because homosexuals dont portray the traditional and typical male image in any society

 

Post a Comment

<< Home