media-lapdog

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

It's All Gone Pete Tong!

I saw a brilliant comedic/dramatic actor, Paul Kaye, starring in "It's All Gone Pete Tong!" I like the way he throws himself headlong into this role and prevents it from being a mere tear-jerker by keeping up an undercurrent of dark comedy as the DJ who faces deafness and the end to a wildly successful career. I liked the way he danced and could tell he was into the music (great music, BTW, which enhanced the plot remarkably) and the character. Based on a true story, the story of the fictitious Frankie Wilde had me believing in the man and his courageous fight. I really got lost in his story. I also enjoyed the chemistry between Frankie and the young deaf woman who tries to help him when it all falls apart. Beatriz Batarda is exceptional as Franke’s lip reading teacher Penelope. The title of this film is Cockney rhyming slang for "everything's gone wrong"; Pete Tong is a renowned British DJ who I think makes a cameo appearance in this movie. Paul Kaye is a British comedian who for awhile interviewed celebrities with sometimes absurd or embarrassing questions and many think he paved the way for "Ali G," Sasha Baron Cohen. This movie is currently playing on the Sundance Channel. Forgot to mention his piercingly deep, blue eyes. Husband and father of two he plans to be a stay-at-home dad for awhile and write.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 10:38 PM, Blogger legal alien said...

hey Claire,

Merry Christmas and I hope you had a good one. I never heard of this movie but it seems interesting, I will try and find it and rent it or download it from the net.

Have a great New Year too.

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger Claire said...

Thanks, Ammar,

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you, too! I did my favorite things, took time off from work, watched movies and TV, read some books, The usual self-indulgence that doesn't come along often enough.

 
At 7:40 AM, Blogger Mad Cabbie said...

Great review Claire, Have a wonderful New Year!

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Claire said...

Thanks Cabbie,

If I took the time, I could clean up the grammar and would enjoy being a movie critic. That is one of my dream jobs. Believe it or not, you have hit upon a secret desire of mine. I need practice, though.
Cabbie, right back at ya, Have a wonderful New Year! All the Best!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home